There are many ways to get involved with Nelspruit Hospice, please contact us should you be interested in helping to improve the life quality of our patients.
Become a member:
There is no cost involved for you to become a member of Hospice and you are invited to attend all General Meetings and support Hospice activities.
Purchase some of our goods at our Nelspruit Hospice Shop:
- Hospice Honey
- Pre-loved items such as clothing, household goods, books and children’s toys.
- On-line shopping
Join our MySchoolMyPlanetMyVillage Program:
Get your MySchoolMyPlanetMyVillage card and select Nelspruit Hospice as one of your charities. A percentage of what you purchase in designated stores will be donated to us, with no extra effort from you.
Become a Volunteer to assist in the following ways:
- Companion:A person who is willing to provide emotional support for patients and their families. Some patients may need to be transported to medical appointments or may need help with shopping.
- Caregiver:A person who assists a patient with the activities of daily living, such as bathing, mouth care, hair, and nail care, feeding and mobility. They will follow the nursing care plan developed by the professional nurse. A caregiver course will be an advantage.
- Fundraiser:A person who is willing to assist at various fundraising events such as the Hospice Shop, Pop-Up Market and other fundraising events.
- Maintenance: A person who is willing and able to assist with the general maintenance and upkeep of the offices and patient equipment.
All volunteers will be expected to attend the Volunteer Training Course and abide by the Code of Conduct of Nelspruit Hospice.
How can I request care from Nelspruit Hospice?
- Discuss your request with your doctor.
- The doctor completes a referral form and submits it to Nelspruit Hospice. Patients cannot receive treatment without a referral form.
- Within 72 hours after receiving the referral, Nelspruit Hospice contacts the patient/family to confirm address and contact details.
- The professional nurse makes an appointment with the patient and/or family and conducts a home visit to assess the patient.
- An individual nursing care plan is compiled, and visits are planned in accordance with the patient’s state of health.
- Attention is also given to the family’s requirements, for example blood pressure is taken, small wounds are tended to and referrals to the interdisciplinary team (social workers, occupational therapists, physiotherapists, speech therapists, dieticians, spiritual advisers) are scheduled.